Last NY Giant to hit home run dies at Va. home
- Cabrera hits 3 HRs, but Tigers lose
- Rays' Moore improves to 8-0, beats O's
- Masterson Ks 11, M's Hernandez hit hard
- Lackey leads BoSox to fifth straight win
- Braves score 4 in 8th to sweep Dodgers
GAINESVILLE, Va. (AP) The last player to hit a home run for the New York Giants before they moved has died.
A funeral home says former Major League Baseball player Gail Harris died at his Gainesville, Va., home on Nov. 14. He was 81.
The final home run before the Giants moved to San Francisco in 1957 came against Pittsburgh. Harris played for the New York Giants and the Detroit Tigers between 1955 and 1960.
Following his career as a first baseman he worked in insurance sales.
A memorial service was held for Harris in Manassas, Va. on Nov. 17. Pierce Funeral Homes says his remains were cremated.
Harris was originally from Abingdon, Va.
Updated November 23, 2012